Sunday, April 15, 2007

To vote of not to vote.....


After a temporary hiatus, the legal two-time is back in business. This time, I have decided to make the posts more organized. At least readers can expect something for the day instead of the usual unpredictable discussions.

Since its Monday, I would like to discuss politics. The midterm election is approaching and I will provide reasons why I will and I will not vote.

I will not vote because.....

  • I am registered in a place miles away where I am currently residing. Technically, I will never be able to cast my vote.
  • There is a possibility that the election will be rigged. Wait a minute, the election will definitely be rigged.
  • The election has become highly commercialized. Since the campaign period, money has been flowing to create all election paraphernalia.
  • Based on the list of candidates provided by the COMELEC, it appears that the quality of candidates continue to dwindle. Just imagine choosing among entertainers, clowns, and traditional politicians.
  • Elections have passed and nothing significant has happened. This is why several voters have decided not to vote again.

I will vote because.....

  • I am a taxpayer. My payslip suggests that more than 2,000 Php goes to the government and a portion of it will be used for the elections.
  • Some of the candidates deserve the position they are aspiring for. Indeed, my vote will serve as an affirmation.
  • It is hard to imagine that the one vote I will contribute will affect the results. But weird things happen during such exercise.
  • The Philippine Constitution states that the right to suffrage is a privilege. Exercising such option is an act of conformity to state norms.
  • Perhaps the only legitimate way to promote change is through an election. Street protests will never push for change and other mechanisms will only make the situation worse.

Since I am not voting, my right to complain against the government is curtailed. To all voters, I have a suggestion that you can consider. Allow the past to affect you reflection, consider the present in making a manifestation, and weigh the future before making a decision.

2 comments:

THE ANiTOKiD said...

very well said!

shopping blog said...

The curve of pandora jewelry the end of the ironing board to Pandora charms act as the shoulder. Now, mist pandora bracelets and charms the shirt with your spray bottle and then buy Pandora you start ironing over the front of the discount pandora bracelets shirt. When you approach the part of Pandora necklace the shirt that has the buttons on the pandora necklace beads edges, you pull the bottom part of the shirt taught and then work against Pandora necklace sale the direction you are pulling at with the iron. Next you will then proceed to pull the shoulder taught by cheap pandora charms once again pulling the end of the shirt so that you can iron the front of the shirt where your pectoral muscles would be.